Thursday 22 August 2013

Lessons learnt: Stretching 101

This has been my longest stretch without the use of a ‘permanent’ protective style i.e weaves and braids, I had a setback due to protein overload that results in breaking hair from my pervious stretch, so was out to really do it well this time around. These are the lessons I have learnt during my current stretch

1. Moisture is very important – in order to maintain my moisture levels I M&S more frequently than I usually have done. My new growth at about 7 weeks post really likes S Curl.

2. I started DCing with glycerine – I always add oils in my DC, but I have found that added a little bit of glycerine really draws the moisture into my strands!

3. Tea rinses – Since I have been doing tea rinses I really do not have a problem with shedding hair due to tea rinsing, when I stop I do get shed hairs but it’s not alarming

4. Protein and Moisture ‘balance’ – at the start of my hair journey this statement to me meant, 1 part moisture, 1 part protein, as in really balanced, however, this has been far from it, my hair and most requires more moisture than protein, this ‘balance’ is not an equal like to like balance at all.

5. Protective Styling – my go to protective style was usually a bun, however due to incorrect bunning I suffered thinning hair line and therefore opted for hair clip which is better for my hairline and general hair

6. Castor oil and peppermint oil for the hair line – due to my bad bunning habit I have been using castor oil and peppermint oil to rebuild my hair line, will post one month results soon. Castor oil and peppermint oil really do stimulate growth and thickens the hair strands

7. Ceramides – I have only just started using grapeseed oil in my hair journey about 7 weeks now but I can already say I see the benefits, my hair is much stronger and better moisturised than it was during my last stretch, will never go without ceramides!

8. Finger combing – this I swear by, less hair manipulation = less hair breakage and loss

9. Detangling before washing hair- This has helped me so much, I either detangle after my pre-poo session or DC session if this was my first step, matted hair is no one’s best friend!

10. Loosening my hair after a long day! – Honestly, just giving my hair that breather from the protective styles and hair ties has been so amazing, most people use this time for scalp massages which stimulate blood flow to the head, but honestly I hardly massage my scalp (lazy!!) just letting your hair have a breather at the end of the day has helped me keep my head relaxed!

Learning all this has helped me during my stretch this time round and will be using this going forward.

What stretching techinics do you swear by?

Happy Hair Journey’s Ladies and Gents :-)

‘There is always some specific moment when we become aware that our youth is gone; but, years after, we know it was much later’ – Mignon McLaughlin.

12 comments:

  1. Pre-wash detangling! If only I'd had known that before my first 6 month stretch!

    Great pointers!

    www.savingourstrands.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh my 6 month stretch wow! can't even think past 3 months! don't tell me you self relaxer after that!! :|

      Delete
  2. I do love glycerine, and ceramides have saved my ends! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glycerine has been working so well, I was almost scared to admit it! I will start using ceramides more for my ends, they do need saving!

      Delete
  3. I totally agree with you on finger combing. It's something I thought I'd never get into, but I've found myself doing it a LOT more especially after gaining some more thickness to my hair from texlaxing. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is such a life saver! Just did some finger combing yesterday when I discovered so many single strand knots! :| Stretching and texlaxing is hard work! But for the thickness its worth it! hehe

      Delete
  4. Detangling before I start my wash day and washing in sections.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sectioning is great, saves so much time and keeps the really messy tangles at bay! I should do it more often!

      Delete
  5. As a newbie I don't feel I really have stretching techinics, but you are so right about ceramides , I swear by this (grape seed and hemp oil!!!!) my ends can not live without this. moreover you are first blogger i know who talks about HAIR CLIPS !!!!! I used to experience breakages by bunning days and nights and hair clips save my hair (less tension on my hair)it's perfect for my SL hair.sorry for my broken english Great post HHJ!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your English is great!! I thought it would be a good idea to write them all up for the days I start having bad habits :)! And hair clips have saved me!!! I worked with bunning because everyone was doing them and looking back on it now, their buns were always quite loose not to stress the hair line or hair!
      That's for commenting and reading, it's always great to have others at similar lengths to help during the journey! HHJ to you too and will watch out for your progress!!

      Delete
  6. I identify so much with your blog posts. This post almost lays out my own HHJ tricks and tips. What I have not tried yet is ceramides. But I agree with you about the hair clips. They save the hairline. Castor oil is the best thing that ever happened to me on this HHJ. I use it every day on my hairline and there is a huge difference. Good luck on your journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so nice when someone identifies with my posts! Ceramides are amazing, really helping me with my hair and general hair strength, you should try them, the most common oil with high ceramides over 60% is sunflower oil! Great it a try as a pre-poo and see how it works for you. HHJ to you too! ;)

      Delete