This has been my longest stretch without the use of a ‘permanent’ protective style i.e weaves and braids, I had a setback due to protein overload that results in breaking hair from my pervious stretch, so was out to really do it well this time around. These are the lessons I have learnt during my current stretch
1. Moisture is very important – in order to maintain my moisture levels I M&S more frequently than I usually have done. My new growth at about 7 weeks post really likes S Curl.
2. I started DCing with glycerine – I always add oils in my DC, but I have found that added a little bit of glycerine really draws the moisture into my strands!
3. Tea rinses – Since I have been doing tea rinses I really do not have a problem with shedding hair due to tea rinsing, when I stop I do get shed hairs but it’s not alarming
4. Protein and Moisture ‘balance’ – at the start of my hair journey this statement to me meant, 1 part moisture, 1 part protein, as in really balanced, however, this has been far from it, my hair and most requires more moisture than protein, this ‘balance’ is not an equal like to like balance at all.
5. Protective Styling – my go to protective style was usually a bun, however due to incorrect bunning I suffered thinning hair line and therefore opted for hair clip which is better for my hairline and general hair
6. Castor oil and peppermint oil for the hair line – due to my bad bunning habit I have been using castor oil and peppermint oil to rebuild my hair line, will post one month results soon. Castor oil and peppermint oil really do stimulate growth and thickens the hair strands
7. Ceramides – I have only just started using grapeseed oil in my hair journey about 7 weeks now but I can already say I see the benefits, my hair is much stronger and better moisturised than it was during my last stretch, will never go without ceramides!
8. Finger combing – this I swear by, less hair manipulation = less hair breakage and loss
9. Detangling before washing hair- This has helped me so much, I either detangle after my pre-poo session or DC session if this was my first step, matted hair is no one’s best friend!
10. Loosening my hair after a long day! – Honestly, just giving my hair that breather from the protective styles and hair ties has been so amazing, most people use this time for scalp massages which stimulate blood flow to the head, but honestly I hardly massage my scalp (lazy!!) just letting your hair have a breather at the end of the day has helped me keep my head relaxed!
Learning all this has helped me during my stretch this time round and will be using this going forward.
What stretching techinics do you swear by?
Happy Hair Journey’s Ladies and Gents :-)
‘There is always some specific moment when we become aware that our youth is gone; but, years after, we know it was much later’ – Mignon McLaughlin.